Forum home Problem solving

Aww man! Seedlings...

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...aaand speaking of misprints....

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

My snails will have a long walk(slither, slime, whatever they do) back from the local landfill.....On the first night of snail hunting with the big torch I collected over 180 snails, and then on following nights over the next two weeks, I collected almost 600 more. No surprise everything I put in just disappeared to a stump.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,836

Slug tossing was a favourite pastime of mine years ago. I got quite good at it - right over the garage into next door's dump. The ones that didn't make it stuck to the gritty garage wall....image

Fortunately he  moved a few years later and I had a nice neighbour who looked after her garden image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Bex2012Bex2012 Posts: 45

So I found the culprit, a teeny weeny baby snail! And yes it got lobbed into next door, but gently cos it's only a baby image

Bet there's more than one though.  And the small ones are easier to squash.  Seriously....they'll come back! image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863

smash them to bits and feed them to the birds

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863

or the tadpoles

Devon.

Or each other.  Slugs,at least will feast on their dead comrades, which can make them easier to catch. 

• Bex2012Bex2012 Posts: 45

I hate snails! And slugs.... And mosquitos.

little gits have been in my greenhouse again! All my climbing petunias are gone and the rest of the lobelia and verbena. Looks like I'll either be down the garden centre or buying new seeds...

Sounds like you need to carry out a mollusc genocide, Bex.  Move all the containers, check thorougly underneath and in all the crevices and under everything.  Once you've got rid of them all (and in large numbers maybe a bucket and a kettle is the easiest way) I believe there's a copper strip you can put round the door to stop them getting in again.

You have my sympathy, but it's a war and you have to win it!