Forum home Problem solving

Building a veg planter

I'm building a veg planter in my garden and I was wondering whether you could answer two questions.

1) The planter will be built onto of some flagging which when the weather is wet will flood to about 2-3 inches. Should I gravel the base of the planter a similar height before adding soil.

2) Should I fill it with compost or top soil, the planter will be quite large and may require a lot of compost bags to fill. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465

Not sure what to advise about the flooding - is it possible to raise the base of the planter?

As for filling it - I use a mix of good loamy top soil and FYM - about half and half.  I find that the fibrous types of compost dry out much too quickly and also turn dusty after a couple of seasons. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi, Kweegly: The planter sounds great. Have you considered setting it up on bricks prior to filling it? This move should largely obviate the flooding risk, ease your backache when tending the 'plot' and make it easier to swoosh lurking nasties (like slugsnsnails) with a well-directed hosepipe every now and again!! Simples, eh?