Pinching out

• Orchid Lady wrote (see)

So I don't pinch out the ones that I have now then as they are indeterminate?

Pinch-out the side-shoots from intermediates (cordons) then pinch-out the growing tip when you decide you don't want them to grow any taller.....i.e. when they reach the top of the greenhouse.

Determinates, let them grow unrestricted.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

So I don't pinch out when they have 2 true leaves like sweet peas? I think they are a bit small yet so will leave them until I repot and then pinch where necessary (I think!)

• Orchid Lady wrote (see)

So I don't pinch out when they have 2 true leaves like sweet peas? I think they are a bit small yet so will leave them until I repot and then pinch where necessary (I think!)

Bless you, Tracey, NO.

Presuming these are the ones intended to be grown in your greenhouse.....'Moneymaker' for instance? These will have only the side-shoots removed as they progress up their supports. When they reach the top of the supports or the roof, then AND ONLY THEN is the growing tip removed...pure & simple, this prevents it growing any higher.

It therefore follows if you take out the growing tip at any other time, they will be stunted and will not grow any taller.

I'd rather not complicate it any further, but in theory you could use the resulting side-shoots to train up the supports....but let's not go down that path.

Thank you David, that may explain why in previous attempts they haven't grown very well.....I've been doing it all wrong image The books make it sound so complicated when actually it's quite easy it seems!!  I'm a muppet image

The variety is actually Cossack F1 Hybrid.

• http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/Tomatoes090520132_zps7526c5f2.jpg

You're nothing but lovely, Tracey!

Just those little shoots where the leaves meet the central stem to be removed until you want to stop it growing any higher.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

The side shoots you miss (there are always a few) till they're 6" long can be rooted in a glass of water and then potted up to make free extra plants image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Let us hope they are not 'moneymaker' Bob Flowerdew, I think, said recently on GQT that they are pretty tasteless.image

No they aren't, I read they were tasteless too!  They are Cossack F1 Hybrid but I am growing some others too image

• Amongst others, I grow at least one Moneymaker every year. Would say mine weren't   tasteless. 

I'd say tastie. image

I think they have been compared to other home grown varieties Heather, all of which in my opinion are 'tasty' to some extent, unlike the shop bought ones image