Forum home Plants

Aeonium Zwartkop

13»

• BiljeBilje Posts: 447
    Hi Phillipa I agree about winter. However I have other succulents Echeveria etc which seem to need less water than the Aeoniums, which get very droopy and drop extra leaves is I let them get too dry.....it's all a question how damp is damp and how dry is dry.
  • I agree Bilje.......not all succulents like exactly the same conditions..

As to how damp is damp and how dry is dry........just how long IS a piece of string anyway ?image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,022

Twice the length from the middle to the end...apparently  image

I think the key is to have a very gritty growing medium for aeoniums. That way, you can water more freely but excess water will get away from roots.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BiljeBilje Posts: 447
    Naw...mine have adapted to drinking Newcastle Brown Ale, not wearing a coat in winter and plodging in the North Sea in any weathers.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,022

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I think Fairy's "string" theory sounds logical.  If you are tall Verdun, your string will be longer I think than the averageimage

Perlite or grit...........if you grow in containers, grit is better as they get so top heavy the extra weight can help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,363

If you click on this thread and scroll down http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/visit-the-old-vicarage-gardens-east-ruston---friday-5th-june/719339.html you'll see Wonky's photo of the aeoniums at The Old Vicarage Gardens East Ruston in Norfolk.  They're outside all year round,  protected in the winter from the bitter north-east winds  by some great shelter belt planting  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh