Forum home Plants

Aeonium Zwartkop

• BiljeBilje Posts: 447

my blackbirds are manic they'll pull out anything they can get their beaks on, my pots of cuttings and new beds all get festooned with wire netting squares to attempt to defeat them. At least I don't get bothered with squirrels, but I have had move burrowing in pots of tulips....you've got to love nature to be a gardener I reckon.

best of luck with the cuttings

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Thanks - They were looking a bit floppy when I put them back in but hopefully the rain has perked them up a bit - its been too horrible in the evenings to get out into the garden to have a look after work (and still pitch dark when I leave for work).  They should be fine, they're fairly robust I think.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

A bit nippy in the front garden this morning so I took pity on my aoniums and brought the in to the conservatory for the winter.  I started with one little cutting about six years ago.

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

They look great.  Also love the colour of the pelargonium too.  I love creating and getting plants for free (or reduced) - can't beat it!

My front garden is south facing and gets so hot and dry in the summer.  I've spent this summer repotting sempervivums and succulents into different sized old teracotta pots, topped with gold/cream coloured gravel, ready to make a really nice tiered display under my lounge window next summer (along with the aeoniums) - hope I have enough room to keep them in my potting shed this winter - although they do okay in a sheltered corner of the garden.

I too enjoy sempervivums in terracotta pots although mine are prone to vine weevil yuk. As I said I'm in the NE but my houseleeks live out doors against the house wall and do ok. I've stopped gritting mine as I found the off shoots didn't root through it and I wanted nice full cushiony pots if you get my drift. have you tried echeverias which look like big houseleeks? , I do overwinter them in my cold greenhouse and even the bedroom window sill. The have very peculiar flowers in orange red. 

There's another thread running re Aeoniums so that's prompted me to update my thread. Another thank you to all those who offered advice. My Aeonium has survived another winter mostly on my bedroom windowsill. The small offsets about six of them have really grown well so as the weather warms !! I'll take some off as cuttings.
  • Hello, I was hoping for a little advice. We have purchased one of these plants after seeing them in Cornwall. My wife and I really liked the multiple branches we saw as well as the foliage. We could only find single stem plants in the nurseries we went to and so we are wondering how we make this more 'branchy', I have heard that you can snap / cut off stems to create this effect however am a little apprehensive about cutting this only stem! Any advice greatly appreciated.

His Chris if you go right back to my original post you'll see I had the same proble. I followed the good advice and as my plant matured it grew side branches from the top. Last year I took one offshoot as a cutting and it's now a single header a foot high. This year I took two offshoot cuttings in the spring and they are doing fine.

I do find the mature plants like to be kept well watered. Good luck and be patient.
  • As Bilje and Verdun say, it is really quite easy to make a single branch into a multiple but depends where you are located as to whether it is a good idea to do it now or leave til Spring.

Bilje..........well watered ?  I must admit I find all my Aeoniums ( 3 different so far ) always do best when kept short of water............especially vital in winter.image