Forum home Talkback

Bush advice please

We have a small but beautiful garden at the rear of our suburban semi. This year's project, however, is the small (20ft wide by 15ft deep) front garden.

I have spent the winter happily designing and refining the  planting schemes for this space which is currently a gravel covered embarrassment.

The fence line adjoining my neighbours garden (15ft) is my last remaining challenge. We have agreed to replace with a Bush to support wildlife and look better. However I have failed to identify something that will provide a three foot high toe to head Bush that will provide some shelter to local wildlife from the ever Increasing cat population. 

Any ideas gratefully received.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

A hawthorn hedge would be my choice: it's native, has flowers and berries and spines to keep the cats out.  Put the plants 18" apart.  When they're three years old let me know and I'll come and lay them for you.

Or you could go more formal and plant a box hedge. More formal but no berries and less wildlife.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215

I've seen Berberis thunbergii Atropurpurea http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging-plants-trees-shrubs-bareroot/thorny-hedging/red-barberry-berberis-thunbergii-atropurpurea used very effectively as a hedge to provide protection for garden birds from cats and sparrowhawks.  

It forms an attractive hedge, pollinating insects love the flowers, and it is very spiny!!!  Not advisable in a garden where toddlers will be unsupervised, but  perfect for a suburban front garden. as the question described. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MoobloonMoobloon Posts: 24

Thanks for all your suggestions and especially to Steve for his additional offer of post planting support! As always the advice on this forum is really appreciated and I will let you know my decision