Forum home Plants

Moving and transplanting

As I hope to be moving house, is it possible to dig up - safely - a beautiful Pieris and take with me?  If so, what advice would you give?  Whoever moves into my bungalow will most likely extend the property at the back and will obscure the plant which will most likely be dug up anyway.  Thank you.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Yes basically just make sure you have a sufficient root ball. You'll be able to tell by digging firstly about a foot from the stem, if the roots don't lift extend the circumference around the root ball to 2 ft, then further if it needs it. Wrap the root ball in damp/wet sacking and move. It may weigh a fair bit depending on how big a root ball you have so be prepared.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305

I'd add to Dave's advice, that ,  if it's a large specimen, you'd be best pruning it back a bit to reduce water loss from foliage once it's moved , and it'll help get to the base to dig it up. Make sure you tell the new buyers that you're taking it.

Devon.
  • Thanks so much to Dave and Hostafan 1 - extremely helpful. I didn't want to leave it behind as it is so stunning, also my daughter gave it to me.

Thanks agan.

Evelyn