hydreangea

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

hi all got a lovely hydrangea for mothers day it's beautiful greeny cream into pink want to plant out and keep colour, any advice?

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

you will have to feed (A) copper or (B) a dandelion solution made from the roots and soaked in  a bucket and then 50mls to a litre of water and just sometimes it works and keeps them blue.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

But she wants to keep it creamy pink!  

Pink mophead macrophylla hydrangeas will stay pink on chalky soil.  They will turn mauve/blueish if your soil is acid.  

However, my guess is that your hydrangea isn't a macrophylla - it sounds like H paniculata 'Limelight' or similar - the lime content of the soil won't affect its colour.

Does it have a label?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,255

My paniculater still looks like a dead stick image

• LynLyn Posts: 8,374

My vanilla fraise has only just barely started budding, perhaps they are later than the others.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,736
    star gaze lily wrote (see)

My paniculater still looks like a dead stick image

Mine too Lily

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

dove no it doesn't just from tesco, our soil is acid i think judging from lots of successful camellias rhododendrons in neighbours gardens, i haven't tested soil, thanks mike for details, it may be worth testing as although i like blue this is one of the prettiest i've seen,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

If it doesn't have a label can you show us a pic, then we'll know whether it's a macrophylla or not image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Dad used to bury bits of iron underneath his hydrangeas, down in Devon.  They were all shades of mauve - very pretty.

• gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

I noticed, last weekend, that my mop-head has got some buds on it.    Not leaf buds,(they've been there sometime now) but flower buds!!!   I live in the West Midlands so not a particularly mild area.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

watching gw i'm fairly sure is macrophylla know advice to keep pink is alkaline soil just don't want it to turn dark or go reddish, phoned tesco cust services to get exact variety still waiting to hear back