Forum home Garden design

Photinia -



  • My neighbour has a row approx 8ft from my kitchen window and they are lovely to look at but they grow so quickly they block the light and the sun from my kitchen window and patio. We have previously asked for them to be cut back and they have duly obliged, however they are not gardeners and all along our 100ft garden, their shrubs  are so overgrown on their side that we have 4ft of perputal shade on our otherwise narrow garden (faces west/slightly north/west).  Can I remove height from my side legally?

  • Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 300

    They don't like alkaline soil, Abby? Really? Our garden is on the North Downs with solid chalk only a few feet below the soil level. No signs of stress with our shrub. I've even got a rhododenron growing pretty happily too. I mulch it well in the spring and give it a dose of sequestered iron once in a blue moon, and she flowers beautifully.

  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

    titchdog, no you can only remove vegetation that crosses the fence.  To reduce the height, I imagine you would have to cut on the neighbour's side of the fence, and that you cannot do.  If you do remove stuff back to the fence line, and no further, you must return what you cut off to the neighbour.

  • BenDoverBenDover Posts: 462
    You can complain to the council if a high hedge is impacting on your enjoyment of your property, however, before proceeding down this route, you must have first tried to resolve it amicably with your neighbour, and taking it to the council should be a last resort.

    There are places on the internet that says the max height of a hedge should be no more than 2m, but there is no max height, and the council will consider the location of the hedge before determining how much a high hedge should be reduced by - they may consider it reasonable that a hedge can still be over 2m.

    Other factors are that the hedge has to be semi or permanent evergreen! There must be at least two shrubs or trees in a row, be at least 2m in height, it must form a barrier, to light or access, and it must adversily affect your enjoyment of your property by virtue of its height - however, If there is a problem caused by hedge roots, the council will not get involved.

    If the council is satisfied you have done all you can to reslove amicably, and they agree that a hedge is preventing enjoyment of your property, they will issue a remedial notice to the hedge owner to require them to reduce the hedge height. Once the hedge is reduced, it must continue to be maintained at that height.
Sign In or Register to comment.