Forum home Plants

Plant IDs Please

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

solidago, golden rod, is another possibility for 4. clump of leaves, long thin stems, yellow at the top

3, that one interests me. that might be a monocot. I'm not very familiar with alstromeria, (might not even be able to spell it) but what do do you think

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have Alstromaria (sp?) in the G/H right now. In the a.m. could take pic of the base of it.

good idea artjakimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

Not the best photo I've taken. These are neglected alstroemeria  ( as well as a few snowdrops). The ducks have been trampling on them and they're not as advanced because they are too shaded now. I probably ought to move them.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Hmmmmmm 

What do you think fidget?

• Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

Yes, fidget, those are the ones I call giant daisies.

Number 4 is Golden Rod, Nut. Well done, I knew I would remember what it looked like if somebody got it right. I don't really like it though but will probably keep it as we are looking to fill gaps at the moment, not make them.

I am not sure about alstromeria. I thought I had one last year that I bought but those plants that I took a picture of came from a bed on the opposite side of the garden, so it is definitely not one I bought. The leaves are very coarse and 'grassy' if that helps. The 4 or 5 I dug up were also not in a clump, rather just separate plants in fairly close proximity to each other.

Don't keep what you don't like Sprig. Divide something you do like and make more plants

Oh, don't worry. I have been doing that too. I have literally hundreds of plants on my patio waiting to grow on a bit and go in to the beds once I have finished preparing them - which I must hurry up and do. I will give it a chance this year, it might grow on me. It was on its own last year so might look better once it has some companions.

When would you recommend re-planting my split perennials? Most have been split in the last 3 weeks and have been put in pots until I get the beds ready. Should I get a shift on and get them in the ground asap or would they do better staying in the pots until the weather has warmed up a bit? They are on the patio against the back of our house which faces south, if that makes a difference.

The sooner the better in the ground. They're all hardy. As the year progresses they'll take more watering to get established, at the moment if you're lucky, (not one of those dry Aprils) watering them in will take them a long way.

OK, I will get my skates on. In the mean time I have a 3 year old who loves being allowed to water for me!