Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Parsley help

I have tried growing parsley from seed with little success. Can anyone tell me if I planted a pot bought from the supermarket will it grow and will it  survive a Scottish winter outside ? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's a biennial so won't last long but letting it seed in the garden will probably get you some babies naturally. I'm sure it's hardy enough for Scotland

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JANAPANAJANAPANA Posts: 23

Thanks nutcutlet I wasn't sure if the supermarket plants would survive outside. 

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 300

I've always followed my granddad's example...prepare the site, then pour boiling water over the surface.  Wait about 5-10 seconds for it to seep right in, then sow and cover with a fine tilth...works EVERY time, no matter what the variety of parsley or the type of soil.

• ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Ours happily overwintered at 1500 feet in Switzerland, so I think you'll be fine in terms of hardiness. Just give it a good sized pot with plenty to eat and drink during the summer and cut off the straggly and yellow bits as and when.

Seeds can take ages and ages by the way.

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

I have a parsley that came from a supermarket  'windowsill herbs' pot.  It has done well for the past 4 years.  It is in free draining soil. I pay no attention to it except to gather plentiful quantities of the stuff.  But I don't think Staffordshire will get as cold as Scotland ..................   For what the supermarket pots cost it's worth a go.  I also have thyme and chives which have thrived for years.  Mags

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

As long as you get the little supermarket plant acclimatised to out side; have it out in the day and in at night for a few days; keep an eye on frost warnings, then leave it out when it seems sensible to do so, obviously in a larger pot.

Am just off to pour boiling water on a seed trayimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    lydiaann wrote (see)

I've always followed my granddad's example...prepare the site, then pour boiling water over the surface.  Wait about 5-10 seconds for it to seep right in, then sow and cover with a fine tilth...works EVERY time, no matter what the variety of parsley or the type of soil.

I've been doing this year after year since I was a child - never had a problem getting it germinated yet image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Grow from seed is my advice, I've got eight plants outside the front door right now. One key point with parsley is that they love a deep root run, important if you are growing them in pots. 30cm deep is not too deep at all.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Pilippa, when you divide, do you just chop the root in divisions, or pull it apart?