Sedum Spectable

I have just been told that if you cut Sedums back during the Chelsea Flower Show (circa 23rd May) they will keep their shape and not open out with an empty centre when they flower in September.  Good advice!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

This is one of the things I'm always going to do but never get around toimage

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

The Cheltenham Chop! Doesn't quite trip off the tongue

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,410

It works for me.  When I had several S. Specabiles I would stagger the chop, doing each plant at about 10 day intervals, prolonging the flowering period image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

When you say cut back, do you mean off by the stocking tops or right down to the floor?

• I imagine right down to the floor.  And yes, each cutting will make a new plants --  they root very readily.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609
    Tricia 82 wrote (see)

I have just been told that if you cut Sedums back during the Chelsea Flower Show (circa 23rd May) they will keep their shape and not open out with an empty centre when they flower in September.  Good advice!

..I have found this to be the case if you have them planted on richer soil... where I have mine now, on poor stoney virtually soil less ground... I have no need to do any 'chop'.... in fact, I love the foliage at that time of year, nice bushy non flowering plants that give a visual so integral to my border, it would be unthinkable to cut them off...   I prefer them at this time than in flower, to be honest... 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Be brave! It  looks awful after you have chopped, but in no time at all they fill out and it really is worth it.