Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

strawberry varieties

Hi, I'd like to grow a few varieties to cover the full season. I have Sarian and Alice, also have Eros and wish to try Honeoye for flavour.

Will different varieties pollinate each other? If yes will it affect fruit flavour or just seed? If it would affect flavour, do I use insect netting and lift that on different days or times of day? Or do I need to get varieties that won't be flowering at the same time?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Strawberries are pollinated by bees if left outside. Even in a greenhouse with the door left open, the bees will find them. You only need to net the fruit to protect from birds.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

It does not matter if the strawberries are pollinated.  You are going to eat them!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Au contraire, Welshonion.  If they're not pollinated the 'fruit' (the red bit you eat, which is not botanically a fruit at all!) won't develop.  And then we won't want to eat them at all!  You sometimes get small or misshapen ones which have only been partly pollinated.