Lavender

biofreakbiofreak Posts: 553

Can you divide Lavender? I have some huge clumps of Lavender de Grasse. I already split strawberries successfully, and I do know about taking cuttings , but these bushes are 2ft wide and I want to add some to a new Rose Border. Any ideas?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

Dividing depends on having more than one stem coming out of the ground. If there's only one you can't. If there's more than one it's worth a try. The down side would be some rather odd shaped bushes

I sawed a weigla in half a couple of years ago. Bought one with 2 distinctly separate stems, pruning saw down the middle. 2 plants. 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 798

On a different subject I have cut 2 twigs from a lavender about 3 inches tall and placed them in rooting powder and then in a 3 " pot just to see if they take

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 553

I know that you can divide thyme successfully, and I always pop trimmings into the ground, but can I do that at this time of year?

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,892

On the subject of Lavenders. How far back can you cut them and expect them to regrow? I've a "bush" along the path that is all old wood so presumably very established but I'd like to gain back a little of the path without killing the plant!

• pash2pash2 Posts: 83

interested in this

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612
    No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,188

Related question - i missed cutting back my lavender last summer, but know you can do it in the spring instead - do i wait til frosts are gone for this?  Don't want to jeopardise this years flowersimage

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612
    No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,188

Thanks Dove - should have scooted round that site a bit more before i asked the questionimage  Looks like i should do it today - not a moment to lose .....

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......