peas

i planted some peas a few weeks ago in seed trays in my greenhouse.they are about a inch big now.i was wondering should i pot them on to bigger pots or plant them straight outside  

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 553

As long as your ground is not too wet (and then you could make a long mound instead of waiting, so that they are raised) Yes, plant them out and sow any others directly outside from now onwards.

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,071

They might need a spell of hardening off first, leave them outside during the day and bring in at night if we have frosts forecast. After a week they should be fine.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Agreed.  I sowed my first (double) row outside last week and am expecting (well, hoping, mice and birds allowing) to see them a couple of inches high when I get back next week,

I'd keep sowing them every couple of weeks so you have a continuous supply through the summer.  Nothing compares to the first taste of fresh peas in early summer image  As John Seymour says, you will never have enough peas!

And one of the show-off-TV chefs did a three-pea soup a year or two back, using the seeds, pods and young shoots.  Probably yummy, if you have enough!

• squidgysquidgy Posts: 4

thanks for that this is my first year of growing anything so fingers crossed that i get something right lol

Sure you will - but don't woory if everything's not perfect!

(oops...like my typingimage)

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

squidgy, how far north are you? I understand that new members are cautious about where they live, but it would help all of us if we at least knew which County you are in, as the weather/climate is so important when giving adviceimage

I am in the Fens, West Norfolk; my peas...well some were planted last Autumn - the packet said they could be Autumn planted, with protection, so placed this light weight cold frame over them. So they grew and some of them got eaten by something with tiny teeth. Planted some more in with the previous lot and they seem to be coming up. Removed cold frame as it was needed elsewhere, and put plastic covered wire over the pea seedlings to protect them from pigeons and lots of short canes for the plants to climb up.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

In S.Yorks  mine are just germinating in a cold GH will be at least 3 wks before I harden and then plant outside.

• squidgysquidgy Posts: 4

i live in Preston Lancashire and will be planting in raised beds