Forum home Talkback

Kitchen sink

Cherry3Cherry3 Posts: 35

I am the lucky recipient of an old butler's sink in good condition which I would like to use in the garden---id there anything special that I should do to it before setting it up with plants? And what would readers recommend--a herb garden in it or an alpine garden???

Eagerly looking forward to your ideas---image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Why do the roots need to grip the inside of the sink, Philippa?

• Cherry3Cherry3 Posts: 35

Are  you saying that all these ''sinks'' we see with plants in, have an interior lining---seems a lot of ''kerfufle' if I may say so? I knew I had to ensure good drainage, then thought you just popped plants in, with suitable compost.-------image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Jealous.com, I would LOVE  one of those image

Cant advise in compost etc as would have no idea myself, but personally I would have it as a herb garden image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I have one image and I made an alpine garden

My plants didn't seem to have any issues growing! Hahaha!

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 16,769

Would love a butlers sink, wouldn't cover it up. Would use mine for a small rockery garden.

Think I should put this on the envy thread Panda image

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

My butler sink was, what I consider, cheap, £30. I got it from a place that sells that kinda stuff. image Not much help, sorry image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Actually, I think if I could get one (especially for £30) I'd have it in the kitchen!  My new stainless steel one is so thin it bends when you turn the taps!

• Never had a problem with glazed surfaces in sinks. Not aware that any alpine growers do anything to the inside surface. Air will "stop" a root but why should a slippery surface? Glass, ceramic or plastic works fine for me.