Pond improvements

Hi all, 

Here's outer school pond so far. It's a work in progress. Just added lots of oxygenators and planted a good few marginals.

So anyone have some advice for improvements? I was thinking of adding pebbles on the slope?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Pebbles provide a beach for insects, frogs, birds, hedgehogs etc to exit/enter, drink and is always a good idea. They also cover a multitude of sins and provide a pleasing look. Only one question, is it a new liner?

• The liner has been there a year or two I think.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

If it's been exposed all that time look carefully to see if it's degraded. Getting that covered with turf, paving, stones, pebbles or a mixture is a priority. Don't rely on pond plants doing that

• Its only been exposed since winter when I had to pull out all of the dead overgrown irises.

I think I would fill it to the top and leave for 24 hrs to see if there is a leak. If it is replace the liner and redo the pond. If you do it right first time it will last a good few years. Once a liner has a leak the leaks multiply and you never get a good pond. It's pointless doing anything if the liner isn't doing it's job.

• The liner is intact thankfully.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

That's good. They're not cheap

• What's best apart from cobbles to cover the bare liner?

Marginal water plants to cover the edge's. You seem to have a shelf around the side of the pond so use it to place the marginal plants. You can plant around the top edge of the pond with plants that will droop into the water, or use large stones to create a rock face. Insects will sun themselves on the rocks during summer. 

• This is my pond Justin - it is a very similar shape and size to yours and so will give you my ideas on what you can do with it!

I would suggest planting a couple of Astilbes around the edge where they won't over-shadow your pond too much. They are fast growing plants that love boggy soil.

Try and locate some large stones to edge the pond (a local disused quarry maybe?), and some smaller stones to make a pebble beach so that everything can get in and out of the pond.