ranunculus

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,986

hi my ranunculus bulbs came today but i want to make a bit of room in beds so could i pot them up while i get their new home ready or will they dislike disturbance and shall i leave them in bag?

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 549

Mine planted in pots two weeks ago and showing up through the soil so am happy.

• ImpHostaImpHosta Posts: 56

I soaked mine overnight before planting in pots (advice on the Parkers Wholesale website video) - they were then placed in an unheated greenhouse and are now sprouting nicely!!

So my suggestion would be to soak them before planting - if you can get them in the ground by the weekend then great otherwise start them off in pots and transfer them to the garden in a month or so.  (I must caveat this suggestion by stating I am by no means an expert and am growing ranunculus for the first time this year, so more sound advice from others may follow!)

• LynLyn Posts: 8,424

I bough those from Parkers as well, bag of 50 and I had a spare. I started them of in deep seed trays, they were meat containers, then when I saw they had all taken, I potted them in 5 inch flower pots, i want them in pots, not in the garden, but a lot of people do plant out.  I wouldnt put mine out yet, bit cold

I did soak them first.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

Are they frost hardy once established or do you have to dig them up like dahlia?

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Yes, I would like to check too if the ranunculus are hardy perennials?  I planted 50 bulbs last October but very few have come up and those that have come up are just foliage about 15cm high.  Do they flower in their first year?

• ImpHostaImpHosta Posts: 56

http://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/plant-0006200/ranunculus-picotee-pink.htm

Website says hardy perennial, CharleyD and cairnsie.  They should flower first year (at least I hope they do!)

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Thanks Smiffy G.  I think maybe where I planted them doesn't get enough sun and maybe it's too exposed to wind too.  Time will tell I guess ...

• LynLyn Posts: 8,424

Mine are still in the greenhouse, I wont put them out until its warm. I dont think they are completely frost hardy, my daughter puts her pots in a plastic greenhouse over winter, i dont know where I will put 50 of them though! I will keep some in the conservatory, they are so cheap I think about 4.00 for 50 so if I lose some in the winter it wont matter too much.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

Thanks I may try a couple

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,986

oops forgot to soak planted some in pot and some in west facing bed let's see!