Forum home Plants

Apple Tree

KweeglyKweegly Posts: 92

Hi everyone,

I have a well established apple tree and I'm just concerned that it appears to be dead after a very hard winter. If you have seen my other posts you might already no my garden floods so this winter has been tough.

When should I see life from the tree?

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 391

Hi K,

My apple tree and all the apple trees we have at college are still dormant, they are fairly late plants when coming into leaf. I wouldn't worry about it for now, but if we get to mid April and there's still nothing, that's when you can start to worry.

if you want to know now, just gently scratch the bark on some of the smaller twigs to see if it's green. Green means it's alive.

hope this helps image

• I planted four for a customer which are bare root. They were planted back in November. They have no signs of come into leaf yet but it's still quite early for them so don't panic yet as long as it has buds.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

My Ambassy which is my earliest apple is coming into leaf now but I don't expect the Orleans Reinette to leaf up for a good few weeks yet. I don't suppose you know your pollination group your apples are in. That will give you an idea of when to expect to see signs. I'm sure they're fine though.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

One wet/cold winter shouldn't kill a healthy apple tree.  Where are you?  Climate makes a difference of course. 

• KweeglyKweegly Posts: 92

Good news went out today and there are signs of life now image

Thanks for the info!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Good-oh!