Forum home Plants

What shall I be doing out in the yard?

Hi all.  This is my first post so hopefully I've put it in the right place.

I've only a small yard since I live in a terraced house, but would like some advice on what I can do at this time of year.  I have quite a few pots: A couple of hostas, bamboos, lavenders, daisies, azalea, and penstemon, I can keep going but don't want my first post to be too long image .  Many were gifts from friends and family and the rest were bought late summer last year, so this is really my first spring gardening.  I would just like to know whether there is anything I can do at this time of year to give them a good chance in summer?

I've already cut back much of last years old growth (I think I've jumped the gun a bit with the penstemon but hopefully it will be OK).  I've cut back my geranium and I'm keeping that inside for now, and have already picked up a few plants from the garden centre which have been potted and are on my windowsill.
I think I am being overeager so early in the year but it's very tempting to get stuck in!

• ImpHostaImpHosta Posts: 56

If your hostas and penstemon have been in pots for a few years then now is probably a good time to divide them (giving you more free plants in the process!) and replace the compost in the post to give the plants a good feed.  You may want to consider putting in some water retaining crystals too which help to stop the pots from drying out through the simmer.

I find that putting cheap 10mm gravel (from DIY store) as a top dressing on pots helps with supressing weeds, keeps moisture in the soil and, in my opinion, makes the pots look nicer too.  It may also help deter some slugs from nibbling your hostas!

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Hi Terrafirma, you could get yourself a little plastic growhouse,(they dont take up much room) and start sowing some petunias and annuals etc for pots and baskets to brighten up your yard, I will give you something to get into and its so satisfying knowing you have grown your own! This is how I got into gardening,image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Can you show us some pics, and tell us whether you are North, South, etcimage

• I am in rainy Manchester.  I'm at work now but will post up a couple of pics later.

The growhouse is a great idea - I will look in to that this week.  I was going to ask about covering the soil in the pots so I will also look in to getting some gravel - does wood chipping do the same job?

Do I need to fertilise the pots?  If so which should I be looking for?

Thanks for all the help.