Forum home Plants

Mystery Plant

Hi everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. I want to identify the plant in the picture. I bought it in a living Christmas assortment from a supermarket about 15 months ago. Everything else died (ivy etc) but this has lasted. It is in the greenhouse at the moment. It has not flowered but only been foliage. Any clues to identity and care would be most welcome.

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

Looks like Kalanchoe or Flaming Katy.

• Thank you. Having looked at some online pictures, I believe that you are correct. Now to give it some TLC.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I think I have had these in bought plant baskets, if they are what D says I think they are mainly indoor plants. I might be very wrong.image

I'd keep it indoors in a sunny spot, at least until mid May, giving it some weak liquid feed or houseplant feed won't hurt. Think it might have red flowers.

If it flowers please take another picture / update us so we know what it is.

Should have said,  hello M image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Yes indoors definitely until all danger of frost is over, but is it not a sedum? or is kalanchoe a sedum?

• It's suprising how many people throw them away, I have rescued a few from customers green bins, people don't realise that with a little bit of care these will survive. It isn't a sedum though.

• Thanks you all for your advice. Now I know what it is, I intend to take it indoors and also to propogate a few more. As I mentioned, it was the only survivor from a Christmas assortment bought in a pot from the supermarket. I mainly grow veg/feed slugs* in the garden/greenhouse and hadn't come across this plant.  *Delete as applicable.