Forum home Fruit & veg

Spuds!

2»

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

One more quick question, I have 2 bins, should I plant one lot now (earlys?) and one lot later for Christmas?  From 6 seeds how many spuds roughly do I get and how do I know when they are ready?

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

" let them sprout little root things" Tracey when you chit them they don't sprout roots, they sprout the beginnings of leaves. Your seed potatoes will have little "eyes" at one end, put them in the egg cartons with these facing up. The roots will grow once they are in the bin. This is what they should look like. Hope this helps, good luck with growing them.

This should help too.

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/growing-potatoes-in-bags-or-potato-sacks-ggid31.html

• If they don't seem to have chitted much by the time you want to plant them, don't worry. It may get them off to a slightly earlier start, but they'll grow anyway. Might as well choose earlies or second-earlies, as this will give you nice new potatoes at a time when they're expensive in the shops. Charlotte is a good variety, if you see them. They really are easy, give it a go!

Thank you everyone and LOL Swiss Sue, that's what I meant, like in the picture but I though they were roots image One day I will know what I'm doing.

Im going to try and get compost today and possibly potatoesimage

Sorry, one more thing just to make sure I've understood, from what Edd said, I plant both early and main crops at the same time, is that right?

Thanks for your patience image

Thank you image

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Give them plenty of compost or rotted manure more the better sit back and let nature do her thing to quote rocky three it takes time baby it just takes time !