Forum home Talkback

worst gardening old wives tales

1234568»

• Artjak,   Bananas are also good for Roses and other plants and Shrubs, the skins I mean. They give potassium to the soil as they rot down. I eat quite a few and  I cut up the skins then spread them around my Roses and other plants. So whilst the actual fruit of the Banana provides us with our Vitamins etc. its skin helps our plants, I heard also that the fruit helps people with irritable Leg Syndrome my Mum used to swear by it.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,377

Thrifty, do you mean when your legs just feel funny (bad way to describe sorry) when you don't know what to do with  them...sit down...walk around..arrrg...cos I get that and I eat loads of bananas.....have one everyday for brekkie and sometimes one later.....perhaps I eat too many imageimage

Was always told to keep bananas away from other fruit and also indoor flowers/plants cos the give off  ethylene

Heard banana skins are good for compost tho....not tried it yet.....

• Hi Star gaze lily, Well it was my Mum that had the condition with her legs, just as you describe, she always said that Bananas helped the problem. So I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but if you eat them everyday and don't get any relief from the condition then it may be just an old wives tale. Apparently its the Potassium in the fruit that helps, don't know if that's why Tennis players eat them or if its just to give them energy.  They don't seem to give Chimpanzee's any problems lol

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,613

Bananas are also handy to ripen fruit such as end of season toms.......due to the ethylene.  Mind you, you can't eat the banana afterwards(unless you like really over ripe ones image

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,083

I think tennis players eat bananas because the potassium is good for preventing cramp.

Restless leg syndrome is most troublesome at night as it means you keep feeling you need to move around to try to get comfortable. It's sort of like having pins and needles but not exactly. I used to get it but don't much now (perhaps because I do eat more bananas than I used to). My mum also gets it. She eats a lot of bananas but I don't know if that's why.

• MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 213

Composting is the nitrogen cycle.  The balance is the key. Carbon (browns) and Nitrogen (greens) need to be about 25:1 in a metre and a half heap. This is from 

http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/

Browns = High Carbon C:N
    Wood chips 400:1
    Cardboard, shredded 350:1
    Sawdust 325:1
    Newspaper, shredded 175:1
    Pine needles 80:1
    Corn stalks 75:1
    Straw 75:1
    Leaves 60:1
    Fruit waste 35:1
    Peanut shells 35:1
    Ashes, wood 25:1

Greens = High Nitrogen C:N

Weeds 30:1
    Green Wood 25:1
    Hay 25:1
    Vegetable scraps 25:1
    Clover 23:1
    Coffee grounds 20:1
    Food waste 20:1
    Grass clippings 20:1
    Seaweed 19:1
    Horse Manure 18:1
    Cow Manure 16:1
    Alfalfa 12:1
    Chicken Manure 12:1
    Pigeon Manure 10:1
    Fish 7:1
    Urine 1:1

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

rowan also an important symbol of protection in paganism, esp good to plant one by your door/home to protect it

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,377

imageThrify,  

Yes If you have an under ripe avocado putting it with bananas helps image

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,129

An aunt of mine thought she was the fount of all gardening knowledge.  Helpfully, she would point out the deficiencies of seed packets, insisting that "they" had got it wrong, and that the plants were not as illustrated.  Linum was one such plant, I recall, and I had (painfully) to bite my tongue rather than argue!  btw I suspect she was a witch in her spare time image

She also insisted, but insisted, that aquilegias were not Grannies' Bonnets.  She reserved that description for Monkshood,  (More tongue biting here, all the more so since her daughter, my cousin, is following in her (dis)honourable mother's footsteps image)

Lilac, especially white lilac, was supposed to be unlucky, and hospital staff would refuse to place it on the wards.  And red and white flower combinations were supposedly a reflection of the purity and blood of the death of Christ.  Funnily enough, that persisted (and may still do, for all I know) in many churches, and you rarely, if ever, see red and white flower arrangements in church. 

• Rosemummy, Well I didn't know about Rowan trees giving you protection and being a symbol for protection. I have one growing about 7ft-8ft  from my back door, I didn't plant it , I assume a bird ate a berry then it seeded its self. I trim it to a standard type tree its about 7ft high and a double trunk. I do keep it in check though as its close to the house. I am very much protected then with both the Rowan and the Hawthorn