Forum home Talkback

worst gardening old wives tales

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

just read in gw mag that unlucky to cut hawthorn, i read it was a sacred tree in pre christian times and cutting one down was punishable by death! snowdrops are the symbol of imbolg, a pagan festival 2nd of feb, again it's a pre christian festival so as the christians began to dominate, superstitions were introduced to try to stamp out pagan practice and gain control

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Talking to plants does work. In 2013 my red camellia had only 4 flowers on and lots of green growth. So I swore at it and told it would be dug up and thrown out if it didn't produce the goods. Naturally it blossomed profusely this spring.

• DaisyheadcaseDaisyheadcase Posts: 315

Interesting to hear about red and white flowers and nurses....we don't allow flowers anymore in the clinical area because of infection control.  Apparently the stems and water carry pseudomonas, a very nasty bug which can kill vulnerable patients.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

''Roses don't grow in Cornwall''.....

...truth is...historically...we have probably been either too poor or tight fisted...to buy any...

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753
    rosemummy wrote (see)

just read in gw mag that unlucky to cut hawthorn, i read it was a sacred tree in pre christian times and cutting one down was punishable by death!

I got married on May Day - part of the pre-Christian/pagan/folky thing.  All the principal men had sprigs of may in their buttonholes (and that was also the Chief Usher and Matron of Honour's surname!)  I cut some and brought it intro the house a few days before to make sure the flowers were open.  Marriage lasted six years.  Draw your own conclusions.

• Well Rosemummy, I commented back in March about an Old Wives Tale I heard ages ago about not to cut down an Hawthorn tree, as it protected the home from Witches. Perhaps back in history regarding  Religions with Witches, that's how they handled the situation . I didn't read the G.W. Mag so I missed the comments, however my Hawthorn could do with a good Prune. Its if I can pluck up the courage to carry it out , I wouldn't want to tempt fate or indeed any Witches

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I shouldn't worry too much Thrifty Mamma. All the Witches I know are staying in home keeping dry moaning bitterly about it being too wet and cold out for any shenanigans!

• Hope so Clarington, I may chance it this weekend ,  if we get any good weather that is.  Hope its not a case of Final last words  lol

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

What about an apple a day keeps the Doctor away, is there any scientific proof of this?...

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,613

PG.... I have a vague recollection that some study was done on this subject but can't for the life of me remember whether it was something specific in the apple or whether simply eating fruit helped keep you healthy.

Not much help really.....sorryimage

I wonder whether, in 50 years or so,  there will be a "myth" or "old wives tale" attached to some of these super foods being promoted nowadays ?