Forum home Talkback

worst gardening old wives tales

• Gardenjeannie I have heard that too about asparagus and planted it one of our gardens, unfortunately we had to move, even before harvesting So tend to think that it's true but I am a little superstitious. Stupidly planted more in our next garden and moved again, I was totally convinced it was true, although we didn't sell the house I was unhappy where we moved to and are moving back to house and asparagus bed! Now I'm totally confused about that superstition. 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,258

Just planted an asparagus bed here - hope we won't be going anywhereimageimageimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Edd, get some sleep! image

Hampshire lass - really? you moved back to the same house!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

• Yes MrsGarden. Really, moved back to the same house. We rented it out for a year but didn't settle in our new place, missed friends, garden and central location. Very happy to be back. I have no idea what that means about asparagus tho. Time will tell again I suppose. imagePerhaps Chicky can prove the asparagus old wives tale wrong and stay close to your asparagus bed. image

• Pissenlit (literally means to wet the bed!) is dandelion in French, yes. That's because they drink it as a tisane - it is a known diuretic - and blimey is it effective!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Oh really? so that explains itimage

• Yes- I stupidly bought some in France once, thinking I could with a bit of a detox...then had a vat-full over the day and was up half the night on the loo image

• I love the one about elder. 

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,377

I've never heard of the asparagus one, my OH bought some last year. Its seems to be growing well, I hope its not true, I don't want to move!!