Forum home Talkback

worst gardening old wives tales

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,258

My Mum was a nurse - maybe thats where it came from!

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,377

Yes i've heard that Dove about red and white flowers together. Also a friend of mine told me yellow roses mean goodbye, ......image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    that was it dove! Elder - sambucus.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

What an amazing amount of superstition, and from nurses of all people!image

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

I read that holly was planted in hedgerows as witches flew along hedges and the holly trees stopped them. When we bought our house 25 years ago the previous owners said that holly grows along ley lines so our house was in a happy place. Might have been a selling point but I've always been happy here and never seen a witch either.

• I was told that it was bad luck to bring snow drops indoors..........anyone know why?

• Well with regards to not cutting down a Hawthorn  Tree as it protects you from Witches, perhaps its the thorns that would protect or indeed the same would apply to Holly too Pottie Pam, either way it would'nt stop Witches from flying over any type of tree or hedge, on their Broomsticks I would assume, dos'nt seem to hold any substance  that  O.W.T. however I would'nt like to test it out, I'll just let my Hawthorn do its own thing.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I heard that if you wear a kitchen foil hat, you won't get abducted by aliens; well, it's always worked for meimage

• I heard that if you grow asparagus you will soon leave that house! It happened to me in my last house and now I'm not sure I dare grow it hereimage

I thought it was the rowan tree that you must say a prayer to.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,755

When i took some red and white carnations in for mum, the nurse ran to another patients flowers and pulled the pink one out, she said red and white flowers were a sign of death!.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.