Forum home Talkback

worst gardening old wives tales

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    It wasn't that edd. Will have to ask my sister who told me years ago!
    It seems it is considered good manners to ask ALL trees permission before cutting them! The 's' came from whatever we were about to hack at the time.
    'They' say talking to plants is beneficial, maybe asking to remove the growing tip from my seedlings will ensure more beautiful flowers?
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Gutted about the bean roots! image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,755

I learned that only mens pee should go on the compost heap, womens is too acid, right or wrong?

What about not growing pansies in the same place 2 years running, mine have grown for years in the same place, i just chop them back and off they go again.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

My pansies always disappear
  • I was told years ago that you should never cut down an Hawthorn Tree because it protected the home from Witches. Don't know if it included pruning , all I can say is I have one in my back Garden that was planted there when I moved in  27 years ago I've never cut any part of it , and can honestly say I have never knowingly met any Witches, so you never know.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,258

My Mum always used to refuse to put red and white flowers together - said it meant a death would follow.  Its rubbed off on me, just in case its true imageimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,307

Hadn't heard about not cutting a hawthorn - as it's a traditional hedging tree that would be difficult to avoid, but there's a traditional belief that you should never cut down an elder tree as it's the home of The Elder Mother, a supernatural spirit who protects the home.  

There is a belief that you shouldn't cut hawthorn blossom (may blossom) and take it into the house or you'll have bad luck. 

As for red and white flowers together, back in the days when you took flowers to patients in hospital, it was quite common for nurses to reject a bunch of red & white flowers because of superstition (they would say 'red and white is Blood and Bandages) or they would add some flowers from another bunch to make it ok. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Red & white ..that's my snapdraggon & foxglove little  display doomed. Was a planned little surprise for OH whose footie colours are R & W. Big soft silly KEF.