Forum home Talkback

worst gardening old wives tales

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,613

Edd............thanks............wonderful listimage  I confess I used to fall for the bean root/nitrogen thing when I first grew them.  

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,377

Heard the one about May too. Also lillies at funerals but I love lillies.

My mum used to say the same about wet hair and damp grass gave you piles.

My nan used to cover mirrors in  thunder storms because of the lightning......image

Having followed the thread about someone wishing to cut down a huge Yew tree, does anyone know why they are/ were so prevalent in Grave yards ?  Was it simply to produce a rather sombre atmosphere or was there another reason ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

My mum used to tell me that giving yellow roses as a gift was bad luck.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    there's a tree you have to ask its permission before you cut it, can't quite remember which tree but think it begins with 's'. I'm sure someone will remind me...
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I believe the prevalence of Yew trees in churchyards is because these trees were popular amongst pre-Christian religious groups and the church colonised the pre-Christian 'holy' grounds and built their churches there.

Edd, I was always told by my seriously gardening family that the reason for putting a few crocks in a pot was to create an arch over the drainage holes so that they didn't get blocked by compost; therefore allowing good drainage. It also explains why old broken flowerpots (with a curve) are the best things to use.image

With urine and composting I have been told on my compost course that it is a good compost accelorator, but should be diluted; human urine is pretty strong stuff.

Edd............what a goodie you are...........thanks so much.......I knew about Yew being used for Bows so all those comments make sense..........and the cattle too. I just hadn't thought the whole thing through.

Really........thanks for taking the time to respond in such detailimageimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Edd, I spent 75 hours last year talking to people about making compost at public events and can assure you that an awful lot of people do not understand the green/brown  (nitrogen/carbon) balance needed for a working compost heap so that compost acceloraters/ addition of scrunched up newspaper/diluted urine can all helpimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

What about wall flowers & club root? True or not ? image