Best plants for covering artificial pond edges?

Hi all, Does anyone have any ideas on good plants to cover artificial pond edges? Thanks for any help, Justin

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 391

How about caltha palustris - the marsh marigold. In the wild it hang over the side of river and ponds, and dont see why it could do the same here image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

Are you looking for something to plant in or out of the pond Justin?

• Something to plant in the pond preferably.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

The caltha will be good then. I'd try and get the plastic covered with grass or paving or something that's there all year. On the whole pond plants  die back in winter. As well as the appearance plastics soon deteriorate in sunlight.

• I'll give the Caltha a try. How would you recommend I plant them?

Thanks for the help!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,727

Caltha is ideal - it'll spread around too Justin. You could plant them directly into the soil right at the edges of the pond or in  baskets specifically designed for pond plants and put them in the shallow margin of the pond edge. The baskets are like plastic mesh rather than solid. You'll  get them at GCs and DIY stores. Have you got a little shelf at the edge for marginal plants - the ones which don't like deep water? Most of the sedges will be happy at the edges too (Carex) There are lots of varieties readily available, from bronze colours to variegated. Many are evergreen.

As nut says, it's best to get some rock/stone/paving  or turf to cover edges all year round. Much more pleasing if you don't see the plastic image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

We're going to lift the turf around the pond and place the liner then replace the turves over the edges, and the water should then come up to the bottom of them -  hopefully it'll be ok - we're also planting ground cover and ferns etc all around so hopefully that'll spread and trail over the edges and hide them. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Caltha and stones it is image How do I post pics here?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

To post a pic click on the little green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !