Forum home Talkback

Forsythia hedge

I have a neglected forsythia hedge at the end of my garden.  Neglected for a few years now and in an attempt to get my little garden back to the way it should look (after a bereavement) I have asked someone to cut it back and tidy it up.  Due to personal circumstances I had to delay doing this and now I see it has burst into flower at the top although there are very few blooms in the bottom half.  Will it survive if I go ahead with the planned cut now ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,565

It will survive, after flowering is a good time to prune it

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,397

have no fear Angela, it's as tough as old boots. The worst you'll ever do is to lose a year's flowers. That's a price worth paying to have  lovely hedge for years to come isn't it? 

Devon.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Wait till after flowering, Forsythia puts on all it's growth after flowering and can grow several feet after in a good summer, even in a bad one it does well, so have it cut to about a third of the height you want it to be. By next spring you will have a neat hedge and plenty of flowers.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Cut out the branches that flower this year (after flowering) and do the same every year until you have a neat shrub.

Above everything else do not allow anybody that does not know what they are doing near your bushes.  It will break your heart if they cut them back incorrectly.

• Thank you everyone for your replies.  This is a great place to get pretty much instant advice !