Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cherry tree

I need some advice.... I am being bought a fruiting cherry tree for Mother's Day.... Which one to get. I would like a fruiting one as I have an ornamental one which will be in another part of the garden and would like one with fruit. Saying that I am still looking at a self fertile tree, for eating so not morello and not a vigorous grower..... Any suggestions????

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Stella is self fertile and available either  as maidens to train yourself, or ready fan trained to put against a wall.  I have one but the blackbirds get them before I do. If you had it against a wall you would be able to net it.

• Yeah it's going to be free standing I wish I had a wall lmao

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

Stella is a good one and you can get it on a dwarf rooting stock if you don't want it too big. Then it may be possible to net it if birds are a problem.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Yes, the bird issue is a tough one if you hope to harvest any cherries. Last year I managed to collect a bowlful of Stellas for the first time in about 6-7 years on account of my daughters put a couple of horses in the orchard to graze for a few weeks. They frightened off most of the birds but also started to eat the cherry tree while they were about it! Doesn't pay to get your hopes up.