Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

carrot fly & pests

Hi all,

as i am container gardening for my fruit and veg will this have an a more increased risk on certain pests attacking crops. Should i invest in some fine insect mesh to cover crops? 

This is my first time, so im not too sure how likely it will be to have crops attacked my pests. My only experience is with aphids!

Does it depend on location? and how open you are? for example and large fields and gardens more likely to have higher pest problems?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Use some fleece to cover your containers, and tie with hairy string, dont do knots, but bows, this allows easy access for watering and feeding your containers. Carrot fly, fly about a foot above the ground, so raising your containers even by a few inches will greatly reduce the chances of infestation. Also try companion planting with onions or garlic which mask the smell of the carrots.

• Thanks, i will raise the containers - need to anyway because of the city foxes, and il get some mesh.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I grow carrots in very big plastic pots and so the lazy carrot fly cannot reach them. When I grew them in large grow bag type containers, I created a barrier with canes and a bit of polythene sheeting.image