Forum home The potting shed

Heated Propagators

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I agree about Greedy Nursery.com selling seedlings that are quite inappropriate for this time of year; BUT must differ about the heated propagator. I only bought one in February, wish I had bought it to get Aubergines and Peppers started off in January. I DO have a heated greenhouse (with just a frost buster type heater) and a conservatory that is unheated, but the boiler is in there. It , along with the g/h which is in it's 2nd year has revolutionised my gardening, am starting to understand far more about germination and ongoing cultivation.

I am not a beginner, but over the years have suffered so much disapointment from seeds not germinating through lack of heat, that I would recommend a heated propagator, mine does NOT have a thermostat, but gets switched off every morning (one could have it on a time switch) and any of the containers that show signs of growth; the ventilator gets opened.

In short, I am thrilled with my new toyimage

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,485

Artjac...........I think we need to differentiate between "heated" g/h and a "frost free" g/h......... a permanently heated g/h (hot water pipes via a boiler ) gives far more options but sadly these days is not an option for the average gardener.  I enjoyed mine for several years....the range of stuff you can grow  is quite staggering.image

ph2, for the purposes of this discussion, a frost free g/h gives one the option of nurturing seedlings that have outgrown the heated propagator.image

Artjac..........I take your point  image   But new gardeners can't always differentiate between the two.  Got carried away is my excuseimage

Ph2, I think that a great deal of 'new gardeners' are basically fairly practical, intelligent, (lovely) people; those who are basically impractical are always going to struggle a bit. And that is through no fault of their own; some people are simply born that way.image ...and it's great to get carried away with gardeningimage

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,967

I love my heated windowsill propagator - been using it for a good few years now and nearly everything germinates - whereas before it was hit and missimage.  Once seeds are up they get moved to another windowsill, with no heat, and grow on slowly but happily til the clocks go back, when they get pricked out and put in an unheated GH.  I do it once the evenings are lighter, so that i can check on them (lids/fleece etc when frost is forecast) before and after work.  Works for me .....

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

Artjac......I'd be really upset if anyone thought I was having a go at novice gardeners - that was the furthest from my thoughts.  Everyone has to start somewhere.......there are plenty of subjects that I know B....r all about - perhaps it is just as an "oldie" sometimes I am surprised at some of the queries. But then I just cannot get my head around "Black Holes" and such like.  I expect someone on this forum has the answer even if they can't sow a seed.image and I would certainly be glad for someone to explain this to me in a language I can understand   i.e.-very basicimage.

Having said that tho, I think as far as gardening is concerned, there is a lot of mis information/bad advice given by garden centres or so called experts or just simply "non information" which spoils the experience new gardeners can have.

What can I say other than "sorry ".........image

Ph2, you have raised an interesting subject thereimage I'm going to start a thread about the worst gardening 'old wives tales'

• I'm glad I came across this thread, I am a new gardener and was wondering if a propagator is a must-have image
  • i've found using a heated propagator for streptocarpus cuttings much better than without, and it's a massive relief if i forget to sow seeds and need them to catch up with the rest.