Forum home Talkback

Gardeners World TV Program

chelchel Posts: 24

Does anyone else agree with me that Gardener's World on BBC2 seems to be moving away from 'hands on gardening'?

I really love the program and Monty Don, but we seem to be getting less and less practical advice now and more going to other peoples gardens.  Last week's program contained only what seemed to be a few minutes of Monty in the garden and I thought that's what the program was intended for?

There are many other programs showing gardens all over the country but I look forward to things I should be doing now and watching the presenters doing the relevant seasonal chores in their gardens. It usually spurs me on to do the same in mine that weekend!!

Sorry to moan!

• patzzpatzz Posts: 54

Hi chel, yes I thought the same. And not much information can be had in the 5 minute slot given to Carol. I,m not getting much from the programme now but I LOVE Monty,s lovely dog. Is half an hour long enough for a gardening programme ?

• chelchel Posts: 24

Hiya Patzz

I know what you mean about Nigel - he's great!!

I know I sound as if I am having a go at the program but rather than seeing someone's collection of cyclamens I would have prefered some more gardening advice from Monty. Have you seen the Beechgrove Garden program? I find it really helpful and it runs trials which I find very informative.  It's back on TV on 2nd April

I wish we had more gardening advice programs on TV. I love Gardener's Question Time too but that too goes off the main topic of answering listeners questions (which the show is all about) and visits gardens, which isn't very interesting when you can't see what's going on and not very relevant. Where else can we get questions answered?

Oh Gosh I do sound a moaning old thing!!! Sorry folks!!!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

You can get questions answered on this forum chel, just start a new thread and ask away.

• chelchel Posts: 24

Yes but Sunday afternoon in the greenhouse listening to GQT with a flask of coffee is bliss!!!!!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

• Living in Canada I get GW in dribs and drabs.  It has gotten me through this harsh winter.  I know what you say about Monty, I could listen to his voice all day long, something soothing about it.  And Nigel I understand he has his own facebook page!  What a dog!  Every garden should have one!  Bring on more advice for us that are lost in the dark...image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391

I really don't think that half an hour per week of GW is long enough to show us much practical stuff - I think it's been decided that the main focus of the programme is to inspire and encourage, and to give us some timely tips - practical demonstrations of how to do something are available all over the internet and in magazines - and of course advice is available here image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

I enjoy GW. I think it should be at least an hour and not broadcast on a Friday night, but midweek, not everybody likes gardening us much as we do.

i would prefer a topic being chosen and dealt with in depth, at least 15 minutes so you can really learn not just skim the surface.

for example, shade gardening,types of shade,soil preparation, bulbs ferns and perennials.You could spend 15 minutes on the last three topics alone.It is better to do one thing well, remember Jack!

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

As in Jack of all trades master of none.