Mixing lilys bulbs

PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,131

Hi i just wondering if anyone mixed any of your lilium lilys together? i got 3 muscadet bulb and 2 stargazer bulbs, I think they will complement each other quite well. Or would you plant them on their own?  I wonder what the scent will be like? i dont know if they smell similar are not. 

I bought some tree/tower lilys today aswell, will they flower the first year? 

http://images.mobot.org/TropicosImages2/PlantRecordImages/prod/small240/00001000/1745_R560-0901020.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Lilium_orientalis.jpg/220px-Lilium_orientalis.jpg

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I have these two and they are lovely but mine are in two separate pots but next to each other they compliment each other. mind the lily beetle.image

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,170

Perki..........depends on the bulb size.........I bought some" tree" lillies and they flowered in the first year.

Personally I love L candidum and regale but I wouldn't turn my nose up at most of the lillies on offer nowadaysimage

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,131

Hi philippa the bulbs are about 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch if that makes sense image. I had some regale bulbs in my basket was getting them but put them back when i walked past the bulbs again and got stargazer image

Flowering Rose - is the scent of the muscadet and stargazer similar? with them growing similar heights i was going to mix them up with each other. I do love the scent of lilys, it be a shame if i couldnt smell one over the other.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

I grow my lilies in large pots - I don't mix the varieties as they take different lengths of time to flower, so you could have a pot of dying blooms with one still budding.

Having them in pots means that I can group them together when they're flowering image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

I mix mine, because I use large pots. I don't mind some dying off as others flower. I don't notice much difference in perfumes, if any, they just smell wonderful. Don't get pollen on your nose image

Perki they should flower the first year.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,736

I don't have any spare pots - aren't they expensive - so mine will go straight in the garden. They will be close to each other but probably in two 'streams' rather than mixed, not decided yet.

perki they will be lovely however you plant them, if you fancy mixing then 'just do it' at least you'll know for next year if you like it! enjoy the experiment / playing!

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I had a tree Lilly in a pot and split it last year into 2 pots, added to them 2 smaller new lilies (cheap at the end of the season so I haven't actually seen them yet!) so I (hopefully) will have 3 different colours in 2 pots that will compliment each other.  

I think it's entirely up to you though, for example, I have put my tulips in 3 pots, each pot all the same colour to have a different effect.

It may of course all look rubbish, only time will tell, but if it does I'll do something different for next year.  Lillie's are one of my favourite plants / flowers and I am very tempted by the Black Knight Lilly, it looks beautiful image I hadn't thought  of the different flowering times though so that may be an issue image

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,131

Hi, i planted muscadet and stargazer together in the front garden. With only have 2 stargazer bulbs made my mind up, i only work in 3 or 5 odd numbers i am very picky on little things image

Just wait and see how they do, if it doesnt turn out as well as i pictured, i can just move them or buy some more lilys image

Mrsgarden - i dont have any spare pots either, i would love some real terracotta pots but the price image. i bought some cheap ones 99p, i hadn't even used them and i put a hole in the bottom of one. They ok they will do the job for now.

I did buy 2 packs of tree lilys one for myself and one for mothers day, i am getting  itchy feet now and want them for myself image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I'm a bit like that too Perki, I have 5 in each pot, 1 of the tree Lily (I don't know the name if it!) and 2 each of the smaller ones. image They have some nice pots in Aldi but not sure if they are big enough?

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,170

Tracey.........If you decide on Black Knight, I'd be interested to know if the colour really is as described......for.some of the pics in the catalogues they must use filters on the lens as they are somewhat unrealistic.image   I'm tempted to add it to listimage