Dahlia bulbs and tubers

TomskTomsk Posts: 204

I see Lidl are advertising dahlia bulbs on Thursday, and the photo shows bulbs rather than tubers.

Whenever I've seen (or planted) dahlias before, they've been tubers, so is there any real difference between the two? Do bulbs produce a smaller dahlia bush with fewer flowers or something. Or is a tuber just what a bulb grows into after a couple of years?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,692

There's no such thing as dahlia bulbs - dahlias grow from tubers.  I think Lidl's advertising people are confused image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Oh dear!  http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-F1C5636D-D31605D9/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=10923 

How embarrassing!  Who's going to tell them??? 

I hope it's not this company http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/02/13/tbwa-london-wins-18-million-lidl-advertising-account fancy getting £18 million for getting it wrong!!! 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

I've sent Lidl an email!!! image

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

and  and nice gift voucher . in the post your wayimage

• LynLyn Posts: 8,400

Gosh! The add distinctly shows 3 daff like bulbs in the bag 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Yes, there are bulbs shown in the photo of the bag, that's what confused me. I'm no expert, so I thought perhaps some varieties come from bulbs or that a tuber starts life as a bulb.

Is it a good idea to plant a dahlia tuber in the middle of a patch of daffodils or crocuses? I thought that this could mean I get daff flowers in the spring, immediately followed by dahlia flowers in the summer in the same spot.

Also, when should I sprinkle the soil with epsom salts to get better flowers? Do you do this just before plants start flowering or when the shoots appear?

By the way, when I last bought dahlia tubers from Lidl, one of them was snapped in various places, so this time I'll check more carefully. Ironically, the snapped-up one grew very well whilst the perfect one failed to grow and completely disappeared when I next dug the soil in that spot.

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.... Well spotted tomsk, bulbs like that are definitely NOT dahlias....

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Dahlias aren't usually hardy so many people lift them every year and store in a frost-free place. This would disturb your bulbs, so probably not the best situation for them.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,737

B&Q had loads of reticulata Iris on sale with all the summer bulbs - all sprouted of course - do you think I should tell them?....imageimage

You need to keep Dahlias under cover Tomsk as they're not hardy. Grow on then plant out when frosts are over. You'd be better having the Dahlia in front of or behind the daffs. You'd probably disturb the bulbs putting it in. It would certainly disturb the crocus. If you had some bulbs in a pot and submerged that in the border for a spring display, you could lift the pot out and replace it with the Dahlia. image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

That's a fantastic idea to bury pots and create hot-swappable flower beds!

I'm definitely doing that for next year.