Forum home Plants

Variegated Pieris.

Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

I have a Variegated Pieris, half the leaves are brown and dead, it has little flowers starting to form on other bits.

Is it OK at the present time to remove any dead leaves? Should I prune back whole shoots or just snip off the leaves?

Thanks!

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

I still need to test the soil Verdun. I know, I'm slacking. I planted it there late summer last year. The soil has a lot of clay in and in summer is ridiculously hard to dig into. I did make the beginners mistake of just shoving things where they looked good with no thought. This was when I first moved in and my mother in law gave me loads of plants.

Just looking at soil testing kits online now. I've never really liked the position of this plant anyway, so maybe a pot would be nice, it would have to be a large one right?

Either way though, do you think I should just leave it be while it's flowering?

I'm glad I asked about this plant now, as it has spurred me on to test my soil.

Just tested various areas and it's Alkaline PH8. It's clay soil and it seems to be OK drainage as it's on a slight slope and it never seems to have boggy areas or pools of water.

I searched the forums here by typing in soil test to see what people had to say. I looked online to see if I could find one cheaper but they all worked out the same. So I got one while I was in homebase yesterday, it was their own brand. I used rainwater to mix it rather than tap water. It was simple to use and quite exciting.

Yes.