Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Beans

I have just got some Hestia Runner Beans and wondered if I should soak them first.  I have some Sweet Pea seeds and the packet said soak them in tepid water for 12 hrs.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Its  far too early to plant runner beans. Plant them outside in late May, or one to a 3 inch pot in a greenhouse in early may. Don't soak them, they may rot before they germinate. Runner beans don't need it.

• thank you for that information... I think I am just a bit toooo eager!  I have sown parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts in my raised bed already... and peas and sugar snaps in pots under a cloche under my covered area at the side of the house... also some teeny grape size toms (as an experiment) which are now indoors on the window sill with the sweet peas..  will run out of space soon.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

I have grown Hestia, which are a dwarf runner bean, good in pots, pretty flowers. Don't soak them. I started mine in the greenhouse in April, but you can sow outside in May. They aren't frost proof.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • ok thanks for that

• Crazy CatCrazy Cat Posts: 41

Hay! I grew Hestia last year in containers and they were AMAZING. I would sow now.

I have had best success by germinating the seeds between sheets of (good quality) kitchen roll and then placing in a ziplock bag- when in the bag then add water until the kitchen roll is wet and seal the bag. Leave until seed germinates and the main root is about a 1/2 (half) inch long and then gently plant in compost, covered ideally- pigeons love bean shoots image

Out of 20 seeds sown last year, 17 survived into strong and really healthy plants.

All the taste and vigour of climbing runner beans but on dwarf plants. The flowers looked great as well so an edible patio crop! They do like the water thought so water well!

Good Luck and fingers crossed for great growing weather image