Forum home Talkback

Need advice on Cauliflowers please!

connie77connie77 Posts: 139
Hi everyone, need advice on growing Cauliflowers for the first time please? I am planning to Lime my plot, to grow Cabbages, will this affect me growing Caulifowers? Connie

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Lots of feeding Connie!  I have a gardeners' encyclopedia which describes them as 'gross feeders' which sounds like something from one of those articles about how the nation is becoming obese!! 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Cauliflowers are one of the hardest veg to grow well, so don't be too downhearted if some of them don't produce good heads.  Transplant the young plants to their final positions when they have 5 true leaves, give them plenty of space  and bury them up to the lowest leaf, firming the ground well around the roots and stem.  Adding fish, blood and bone to the soil at planting time will help, after which they need plenty of nitrogen, so regular feeding with home made nettle tea will really help, too.  Don't forget to fleece or net them to prevent the cabbage white butterfly.  Good luck! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Yes - nettle tea does the trick!

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Start Cauliflower's in pots in the greenhouse from seeds when they are big enough put them in individual pots harden them off then plant them outside lots of compost and water them regularly 

• connie77connie77 Posts: 139
    Thanks again guys (& gals!) for all your great advice, now i finally have my greenhouse up, i will get planting image
    Hi Bob, just re read your reply, if i have already limed my soil to plant Cauliflowers

can i feed with fish blood & bone aswell? i am a bit frightened of over doing it! Connie
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Hi connie, Yes, it'll be fine.  FB&B is a gentle slow-release fertiliser and won't react badly with the lime, which lowers acidity (this helps to release nutrients in acid soil) and helps prevent club-root disease.  Hopefully you put the lime down in the winter?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

No Bob, I didn't we spent all Winter clearing the plot of weeds, it has been left for two years unused so, only found out recently about Limeing when i saw another Gentleman using it on his plot, so is it too late to do it? Connie

• The user and all related content has been deleted.