Favourite vegetable to grow?

scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,080

Just wondering, now that the growing season has started in earnest, what is your favourite vegetable to grow.

For me it is the humble carrot, I dont think you can compare the taste of supermarket carrots with the ones straight from the garden. I know this is true for most veg, but I find it more noticeable with carrots.

Add that to their long growing season and they are a winner for me.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,183

Scroggin...........are we only allowed oneimage

Dwarf beans then

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

I like growing beans of all descriptions, broad beans, runner beans, wax beans, French beans, Borlotti beans ...... love them all image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

I have 2, beans and tomatoes.image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,934

Do strawberries count!

If not it has to be spuds, I've six different varieties this year, you can't beat the taste.  

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Spuds for me too. 5 varieties here.

• David Matthews2David Matthews2 Posts: 454

Like Dove, I'd have to vote for a whole 'family' of vegetables - but I say "Let's hear it for ONIONS!" : shallots (round and long 'uns), spring onions, sets, Cibou, Chives, Welsh onions, everlasting and annual too! Such a versatile group and tasty too boot!

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

Anything easy, so Peas, Carrots and Onions.

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,080

I guess I was being mean making people choose just oneimage. I am lucky to have a nearby allotment so can 'attempt' to grow pretty much what I want to. However if I was limited for space I would have to be more selective and this started me thinking what I would grow.

Its interesting to see what different tastes we all have.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,934

imagethat's cheating Dave image, someone could say roots or brassica's then give a really long listimage 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,183

Scroggin...............yep.........you were being mean without a doubt image

I'd add Cabbage for outside stuff............