Forum home Plants

Will primroses grow in full shade?

Hi

We have got a very shady bank on the side of the house where it doesn't get direct sunlight at all. Can I can primroses there? thank you for your adviseimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,933

In my experience primroses will cope with shade during the summer, but do like some sunlight in the spring when they flower.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi, if it helps my polyanthus have flowered better in the shade. Primroses might be different so take Dove's advice. Just thought I'd mention the polyanthus

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,431

They seed themselves in totally shaded areas and put up with that. I think deciduous shade is best though

In the sticks near Peterborough
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

............... I think deciduous shade is best though

That's what  meant image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,876

driving around Devon / Cornwall, I see lots of primroses in flower in hedgerows with high trees overhead, which must be in total shade once the trees above them come into leaf. So I'd say , yes, they'll grow in shade.

Devon.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..mine are growing north facing... and flowering..get a bit of dappled sunlight only.... I prefer to see them on a sunny bank though and might move mine later...

• They do in my garden.... 

Hostafan1 wrote (see)

driving around Devon / Cornwall, I see lots of primroses in flower in hedgerows with high trees overhead, which must be in total shade once the trees above them come into leaf. So I'd say , yes, they'll grow in shade.

I agree, but I think they need sunlight in the spring to flower - that's why they're a plant of deciduous woodland and hedgerows.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you all. I have planted some primroses and polyanthus and will see how they cope!