Forum home Plants

Will primroses grow in full shade?

Hi

We have got a very shady bank on the side of the house where it doesn't get direct sunlight at all. Can I can primroses there? thank you for your adviseimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136

In my experience primroses will cope with shade during the summer, but do like some sunlight in the spring when they flower.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi, if it helps my polyanthus have flowered better in the shade. Primroses might be different so take Dove's advice. Just thought I'd mention the polyanthus

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

They seed themselves in totally shaded areas and put up with that. I think deciduous shade is best though

nutcutlet wrote (see)

............... I think deciduous shade is best though

That's what  meant image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,288

driving around Devon / Cornwall, I see lots of primroses in flower in hedgerows with high trees overhead, which must be in total shade once the trees above them come into leaf. So I'd say , yes, they'll grow in shade.

Devon.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..mine are growing north facing... and flowering..get a bit of dappled sunlight only.... I prefer to see them on a sunny bank though and might move mine later...

• They do in my garden.... 

Hostafan1 wrote (see)

driving around Devon / Cornwall, I see lots of primroses in flower in hedgerows with high trees overhead, which must be in total shade once the trees above them come into leaf. So I'd say , yes, they'll grow in shade.

I agree, but I think they need sunlight in the spring to flower - that's why they're a plant of deciduous woodland and hedgerows.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you all. I have planted some primroses and polyanthus and will see how they cope!