How do I deter/ catch thieves from my allotment

Last year some of us at the allotment Im at complained about theives. These theives not only stole my stuff but also damaged the stuff they wont take. Is there any advice anyone can give with regards to deterring them. There were a few poeple talking about getting CCTV cameras last year but no one did anything seeing it was July August time and there is no point anymore. This year Ive looked around and saw wireless CCTV camera kit at BnQ. I went online and found this one cheaper. The only problem is that it needs power. Im thinking of getting the cameras connected to solor power generator as it is wireless I can hide the DVR monitor, so they scums cant follow the cabling to it.

I was wondering if anyone know how to buy a solor power generator for cheap/ think of another way I can power to the cameras. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

One important thing to check when looking at wireless systems is what they require. Do they run their own wireless network or do they expect to piggy back off the network you have set up at home (normally your internet). A hardwired system though annoying is much simpler to set up in that respect (and cameras can be easily hidden by putting them in bird boxes!)

You might find a standard caravan leisure battery would also be acceptable with a small system and minimal transformers and then charge that with a standard solar panel charger (although one would need to know the power requirements before we could go too much further into it).

An alternative would be building a bespoke system on a raspberry pie with cameras feeding into a external hard drive that would allow you to film and easily access the recordings or even get a live feed remotely (i.e. at home) if you built in a sim card that allowed you access to the internet via an unlimited download simcard on a contract. This might be more effort than you want to put in however!

I would heartily recommend going into the likes of Maplins and seeing if they have someone who could advise you as there might be a set up idea for what you want. You can always take their advise and then hunt a cheaper deal online.

I hope this helps.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PentilliePentillie Posts: 411

Some years ago at a previous allotment I had, several people suffered from thefts. Two of the allotmenteers were ex commandos, and they spent several nights camping out in of their sheds, both in camouflage gear, and with their faces blacked up.

When two lads finally turned up one night, after midnight, and started helping themselves, filling carrier bags, the 'commando's' came flying out of the shed, screaming like dervishes. The intruders broke all records running, and trying to jump over the fence - the lads let them run, leaving half a pair of trousers hanging from the barbed wire.

After that night, to best of my knowledge, nobody lost another thing.

Extreme measures, but the two ex-soldiers loved it, and everybody else found it great fun - also proved pretty effective!

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Well my answer to this would be public floggings they are bound to be family credit wallors won't work no respect 

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Well said Verdun somebody has to make a stand we work all year for our edible delights why should we let these low life's take what's ours ? A call to arms que the music from braveheart ! 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,009

put a gargoyle up and a sign up saying there's a curse on anyone who steals, i did hear a story where someone pinched a garden statue and it was returned as thieves got scared!

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,009

just read your post pentillie, brilliant!

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 556

I would stay in the shed with a few pals just as pentillie post did but would catch one and send out a warning to them all.Take him home if under 18 years old for his dad & mum to deal with him hopefully. 

• maybe put a sign on crops saying 'just sprayed with insecticide' not edible etc. but I suppose they would return. love the commando idea.