Latin

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,654

I find it helps to find out what the latin or greek name means - it will be descriptive of something which is typical of the plant - and that helps me to remember the name.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• the  way I use to learn was by writing a diary every day about the flowers or plants I had seen .The common name first then Latin etc.This way you you learn and enjoy the writing about your observations,simple but effective.Ilex Aquifolium.image

• I have a nice book that is called something like Latin for plant lovers, I found it in a charity shop. It tells you what words like glauca mean. I'll check out the name for you, I use it a lot.
  • Just found a guide on Dave's Garden where you can check what the Latin descriptions mean, won't help you remember the full name, but at least you will know what the description means. davesgarden.com/guide/botanaria
  • Found my book, it is called Gardeners Latin by Bill Neale, very pretty picture on the front. It's got an inscription inside 'to Mary from Heather 1997'. I wonder who they were and if Mary enjoyed the book as much as I do! It's described as a lexicon.
  • Thanks so much guys for your help. I did the test on Tuesday and I got 103 out of 105!!! Chuffed to bits! Yeeeeeha! Now I have 30 more to learn.......image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,877

Congratulation! The next 30 should be a doddle after that!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Well doneimage

• Thanks Kate1123 and BUsy-Lizzie!image