tonights gardeners world

spadgespadge Posts: 2

hi on tonights program monty had some cuttings what were they ? and also what was the " cool cotton plant "

many thanks

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 499

Pulmonaria. 

It's Pulomonaria Cotton Cool. We clocked it too. Ours suffer from mildew due to the site, and we liked the comment from Carol that her Cotton Cool doesn't suffer from mildew even though it is in full sun. 

• Not to mention eternal fame for Artemis, re reading out the letter about rose cuttings. image

I missed that! Must replay it. I wonder if he will join this board??

I did likewise having seen the programme - 12 cuttings - 9 have taken - Compassion, New Dawn, All that Jazz.  I thought I had taken them too soon - September - as it was a warm spell. I'll try some other roses this autumn. 

• I did some rose cuttings and kept them in mt conservatory they have taken can I just put them outside now or should I wait abit?

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

The cuttings Monty  had  were Delphiniums.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    @ billy nomates Would try acclimatising them (ie hardening off) before submitting them to the outside world.
  • KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I really liked tonight's show.  I've always loved pulmonarias and think Nigel is adorable.

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 222

Billy Nomates

When did you take those cuttings? How did you take them? Were they planted outside or in pots? Cuttings take a long time to develop, and to be rugged enough to be planted out. All my cuttings are planted in pots with a 50/50 mix of compost and perlite. They then stay like that for a year before being planted in individual pots for a further year. Only after that would I consider them reading to go outside. A good root system takes time to develop.

Kate, Monty did transplant delphinium cuttings that he took a few weeks back, but he also showed rose cuttings taken last September and placed in a bed outside that are now in growth.