Forum home Plants

help

Hi there hope you are all well,my problem is i know you should start feeding camillias early autumn with ericaceous feed but mine are in flower now and very nice they look too,how much do i need to feed now. They are all in pots in ericaceous compost. All help gratefully received.Tony.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Get one of the feeds especially for camellia and acid lovers plenty available and just follow the directions. Camellia's are tough and can stand some neglect they aren't a high maintenance shrub. A light prune after flowering can be done to keep them in check or to maintain a shape if needed.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..well I don't feed my Camellias in early Autumn, but only from about April-October..once a month usually...

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

I feed after flowering with ericaeous food - marked as camellia/rhododendron feed. I think the most important thing to do for a camellia is to make sure it doesn't go short of water in late summer/early autumn when it is making its flower buds for the following year.

• Thank you all ,very gratefull  for the advice will follow it and look forward to fabulous plants next year.image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I have never fed any of my plants before this year (apart from my Orchids!! image).  Having learnt a lot, I now have fish blood & bone, tomato food and the other day I bought Rhododendron, Azalea etc food, which can also be used for Camellias, it says to feed every 2 weeks and is really easy (even for me!) so that's what I'll be doing image

• djjjukdjjjuk Posts: 211

i havent fed mine at any stage - although mine sits in probably the best spot in the garden, full sun (but not morning), acid clay soil, and slightly mounded so it drains better. has grown to about 3.5ft high from just under a foot when bought 1.5 years ago. it hasnt flowered yet, but looks like it will at any moment.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087

I would apply the  feed after the flowering and give a good mulch of leave mould