Forum home Talkback

Seedling help needed

I am new to all of this and first time sowing

I sowed Toadflax and Cosmos, the cosmos seem to be doing so much better than than the toadflaxwhich i hope i can post the pic  

• Wendy 11Wendy 11 Posts: 28

Cosmos is top one sowed a week later. When do i need to transfer any healthy ones pots, as the cosmos are getting quiet big, they are around 3 days old.

Can anyone advise me please?

• Ashleigh 2Ashleigh 2 Posts: 256

Hi Wendy, I have Cosmos seedlings that look exactly like yours and am also wondering if I should pot them on but I wouldn't worry about the toadflax, different seeds germinate at different ratesimage

Oh lets hope someone can advise, as no idea when they should be potted image

• Wendy 11 wrote (see)

Oh lets hope someone can advise, as no idea when they should be potted image

Wendy - you can prick them out singly into small (3 inch) pots of multipurpose compost as soon as the seedlings are large enough to handle. Always hold the young seedlings by their leaves never by their stems. Grow on the small pots until the roots are well established in a coldframe/minigreenhouse before either planting out in the open soil or in a larger container. Let me know how you get on. All the best.

• Shoz2Shoz2 Posts: 15

Really need to wait til they have another set of leaves apart from their baby ones, wont be long now!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

Don't rush, cosmos can't go out yet and when you get then into individual pots you'll need a larger house to get enough windowsills. 

It's a bit early.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

If you need to get them out a bit early, you can make mini cloches out of water bottles and they do well under them from April onwards, then remove once all danger of frost is past. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,607

When they get their next set of leaves they will be even more leggy, pot them in flower pots and drop them in deep, when they grow a bit more and get another a few more sets of leaves, pick out the top set, they will then bush out. Pick any flower buds off, you dont want them to make flowers at the expense of the root ball.

It is a bit early to sow cosmos, i will do mine at the end of the month, they grow very quickly. I have grown some at the start of June, they go on till first frosts. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I definately agree with Mike on that one. I've done it when short of compost and skint! Just the tiny amount of shadow caused makes them stretch and become lanky.I did Caulis and pansies a bit late last autumn and they did it as the light levels were low. Potted on 2 wks ago, up to first true leaves and they are romping on happily now, really strong and healthy. Stop fretting just leave them alone a bit longer, too delicate to move yet.

However, if you gently sprinkle more compost around them to fill up the mods, they should root into it and will become stronger. Then wait until each mod is JUST showing roots at the bottom, or they look really well before you move them.

Sorry as this is the first time i have done i haven't a clue, so your saying gently add a little more compost into the cell?? then it will be much better for the seedling and wait until it has more leaves at least 4 ?

And not to transfer until 4 leaves at least and roots showing on bottom?