Forum home The potting shed

Eggs, and cooking with them

13»

• Flora....sorry to mention this, but don't light a match if anyone in your house has a little indiscretion. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333

There's lots of research now that shows that grass-finished meat contains far fewer triglycerides than grain-fed. image  The same goes for game/wild meat. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,631

You can actually freeze eggs provided they are fresh (ie your own rather than bought ).

Break 10 eggs ( approx. half a litre ) into a bowl and beat very lightly (don't whip in air ).

Add 2 teaspoon of salt OR 1 tablespoon of Sugar  (acts as stabiliser and prevents hardening when frozen ) depending on whether you want to use the eggs for savoury or sweet recipes.

Pack the mixture as you would for any liquid.

Defrost at room temp.

Worth a go if you have a glut.

You can also freeze the Yolks and Whites separately...........

Treat the yolks as above .

Do the Whites without beating beforehand and don't add any salt or sugar

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333

Remember to label whether you've added salt or sugar to the yolks - sweet scrambled eggs are an acquired taste image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Did I not mention the all important labels...........whoopsimage

• flora dogflora dog Posts: 27

My avatar is me holding out a pan of chicken food - I net them a small fish of the sardine/anchovy family in pretty good amounts and they eat a couple pounds of them a week. They get them raw, and cooked. My house smells of odd fish now because I have just removed two loaves of pogie bread (the fish) made with corn meal, any of their eggs that were cracked, flour, water, and a pint of pogies. Stirred together, baked an hour and a half.

They love it! and the fish are pure and healthy filter feeders.

I also took out one of those cocont custard pies just before putting in the chicken bread on to cook.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.