•  

Fairygirl wrote (see)

Isinglass - isn't that where the Hobbits were going?...imageimage

I'll get my coat...image

Nah! That was Islington.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

FG,image did you know that The Fens are East of Moooooordooor?image

• flora dogflora dog Posts: 27

Waterglassing eggs - sodium silicate, keep eggs for six months. Before electric lights that are needed for eggs in winter when short days stopped laying.

""Like you I prefer to rear my own for the table, but TBH I can't be doing with the preparation these days.""

I can butcher a chicken quickly - will make a video if I raise meat birds because the ones on youtube are so ponderous and involved a process. Just takes minutes.

Does any one make pies and puddings much anymore? I have heard young people are not learning to cook from raw ingredients. Try this one - it makes its self (makes its own crust magically - from Granny Miller's blog) Using USA measures - cup = 8 oz by volume which closely corresponds to oz weight also.

Break 5 eggs in a bowl, add a cup of sugar (I use part artificial sweetener and less sugar - stevia made for cooking) two cups milk, 1/2 cup flour, dash vanilla. Beat liquid and sugar for a wile, till smooth, then beat in the flour. Stir in 1 cup unsweetened coconut. Pour into deep pie pan and bake, it rises high, then falls back. fifty minutes - one hour.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/12794022704_d89346431e.jpg

It looks prettier in real life, coconut custard pie, takes minutes to make. People will think you put in effort. Good warm too, but harder to serve.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333

This is a really good poultry forum http://www.thepoultrygarden.com/phpbb/ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,732

Freeze the whites for making pavlova and soufflés.  Use the yolks to make custard based ice cream.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,631

David K and Dove............thanksimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Current medical opinion is that eggs in moderation (whatever that means!) are fine and don't raise serum cholesterol (despite being one of the few foods that actually contain any quantity of the stuff).  Saturated triglycerides (i.e. the fat in meat) are what cause the damage.

Me, I reckon you can have too much moderation.image

• flora dogflora dog Posts: 27

Eggs are fine in any reasonable amounts - they are a cholesterol wash - as much good cholesterol as bad. We eat salads very often and pickled eggs are sliced and put on that. I pickle my eggs with beetroot so it all turns out purple with some pieces of pickled beet too.