Plantsava watering systems

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has experience of these gizmos. 

http://plantsava.co.uk/index.html

On the face of it, them seem like an inexpensive, easy to install way to help keep the plants healthy while we're on holiday.  For various reasons, we aren't happy to have people here while we're away.

I've seen irrigations systems but a) they look complicated (I am a Gardener of Very Little Brain) and b) all seem to rely on being rigged up to a water butt (which usually empties in no time if we're away during the summer) or a tap.

Any thoughts please, you green-fingered people?

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Cool idea!  But most of our pots and planters are all pretty huge (40cm +).  But I'll definitely remember the paddling pool idea for smaller pots.  I wonder how effective cut-off plastic bottles are over a period of weeks....  Must go and see what threads I can find.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

The paddling pool wouldn't be much good if it rained solidly while you were away, unless you are growing bog plants

Found surprisingly little on this topic elsewhere on the boards.  If I want information about rigging up an automatic system involving yards of hose through all the pots, then I'm spoilt for choice!  I find myself wondering if this is simply because there are no other options when it comes to keeping containers watered in summer.  image

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,432

I've seen systems which attach to soft drink bottles but haven't tried any of them.

One example here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-AQUADRIP-ADJUSTABLE-BOTTLE-TOP-SELF-WATERING-SPIKES-/170648142605?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,533

How long are you planning to be away and what are you growing in your containers?  I find that moving containers into a shady corner and giving them a good soaking before we go away gives us about 10 worry-free days and the plants are fine when we return.  Last May we even left tomato plants to cope on their own for a week, and they were fne too.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dovefromabove wrote (see)

How long are you planning to be away and what are you growing in your containers?  I find that moving containers into a shady corner and giving them a good soaking before we go away gives us about 10 worry-free days and the plants are fine when we return.  Last May we even left tomato plants to cope on their own for a week, and they were fne too.  

We tend to go away for six weeks in August.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

I have successfully used the old paddling pool trick when I was first starting this garden and had plants and divisions to nurture before I could plant them out.  It's easy enough to prick holes in teh sides to stop water getting too deep in the event of heavy rain.

I did invest in one of those pod systems which has small pipes coming off and pegged into individual pots to keep my greenhouse going but I only used it once.  Very fiddly.

These days, I gather all my pots, window boxes and hanging baskets into an area at the back of the house and set up a sprinkler system on a hose and on a timer so it goes off during the night.  It works brilliantly so now I've bought a Y connector for the outside tap and have a second hose and smaller sprinkler going into the greenhouse.   Simple, inexpensive and effective.

I also gather houseplants up and give them a shower to remove all dust from their  leaves and to make sure their compost is thoroughly soaked but drained.  Then I place them in the bath with a bit of water and close the door.  They make their own Little micro climate and I come back to very healthy plants. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,533

If I was going to be away for that long I'd hire a local garden services person to come and water the plants and keep an eye on things for me.  I agree, it's too much of a commitment for most neighbours, however kind. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Some really good ideas there obelixx, thank you!  Dovefromabove, I totally agree that it's too long to even consider imposing on the neighbours.  Maybe we should just hire a gardener, I'll look into it.