Forum home Plants

Help to ID a fairly common plant please?

Hello all.

I wonder if anyone can help me ID this fairly common plant.  It looks a little like a hosta in the fact that its about the same height and that it seems to like shade and spreads in a similar fashion.

It has kind of scalloped deep green leaves that are fairly chunky and nice and shiny.  It shoots up stems of little pink flowers that are slightly like a large hyacinth.

I do have a pic, but am currently unable to upload. I wonder if anyone can solve my clues...?

regards

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,361

Try Bergenia

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Sounds exactly like the hosta you seem to think it isn't - why do you not think it is a hosta?  Do have another go with a picture if you can, does help a great deal. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,279

Nut's suggestion - bergenia image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes!  Thats the one!  Thanks loads, you are super!

I knew someone would get it in a flash. 

thanks again x

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

aha, I did not realise it was flowering now - a bergenia indeed - much prefer hostas personally!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,559

quite right too Bookertoo. tee hee.

Devon.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087

Bergenia , never a hosta from your photo

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,279

Steve,  I posted the pic from the internet to help the original poster decide if that was the correct plant image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh